Schools, Districts and States Leading the Way
Modernizing your school isn’t the same as adding a new program. We have to let go of some beliefs and practices in order for the new ones to be introduced. Thus, the best way to learn is from other school, other educators, and the students experiencing a new way of learning and teaching.
On this page you will find case studies of schools, districts, and states that are leading the way. These case studies are snapshots in time. Schools may have advanced beyond what is described here, changed course, or closed for a variety of reasons. They are still valuable in sharing lessons learned, including lessons of what not to do, and to help us understand what modern schools can look like. Districts with an * are places that I’ve heard about but don’t have case studies prepared by me or other organizations.
There are many more schools advancing modern approaches to learning than those listed here. If you would like to make a suggestion of a school to be highlighted, please leave a comment. Or you can submit a two-part article. In the first, describe what your vision is for modern education and your key implementation steps with links so that others can learn from you. In the second half, please share a few critical lessons learned or missteps.
- Chugach School District: A Personalized, Performance-Based System (2015)
- Highland Tech Charter School (2014)
- Da Vinci Schools
- Del Lago Academy
- Lindsay Unified School District
- Summit Public Schools
- District 51
- Thompson School District
- Metz Elementary, Westminster Public Schools
Idaho’s execution of a statewide pilot strategy has been exemplary to date. The Path to Personalized Learning and Tale of Three States provide insights The partnership with reDesign, with a team that understand the spirit of CBE, has also made a huge difference.
- Boston Day and Evening Academy
- Chelsea High School
- Melrose Public Schools
Be sure to learn about the PACE initiative as it is a spectacularlly strategic effort to build capacity around performance-based assessments and create systems for moderating understanding of achievement.
- Making Community Connections Charter School
- Parker Varney Elementary
- Sanborn Regional School District
- Virtual Learning Academy
- NYC Department of Education Mastery Collaborative
- Big Picture Learning (network of schools across country)
- Clear Lake City Elementary, Clear Creek Independent School District, Houston
- *Essex Westford School District
- *Harwood Union High School
- *Lamoille South Supervisory Union: The Road to Proficiency
- *Montpelier High School (See interview with Mike McRaith)
School Networks That Can Inform Districts and Schools
- Achievement First Greenfield Model: Dream Team
- Valor Collegiate: Circle
- Summit Public Schools: Summit Learning and its Platform